- 150g Cumberland Rum Nicky or Â Cumberland Tea Nicky
- 240g plain flour, plus a little extra
- 110g butter, softened
- 200g demerara sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Â½tsp salt (optional)
- 240ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to 190C / Fan 170C /gas mark 5 and line a muffin tin with nine papers.
- Beat the butter in a food mixer until it is very soft â€“ about the consistency of mayonnaise. (You may need to warm the bowl in a pan of hot water first if your butter is still quite hard.)
- Beat in the sugar, then the beaten egg, and mix until well combined. Stir in the mashed blueberries.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, and Â½tsp salt if using, in a separate bowl and mix well.
- Fold half these ingredients into the mix, then half the buttermilk, then the remaining flour and buttermilk. Fold in the Cumberland Rum Nicky, mixing until just combined, but do not overwork.
- Spoon into the prepared cases, bake for about 25-30 minutes until risen and golden. Allow to cool slightly before serving. Muffins don’t keep well so best eaten same day.